Downsbrook Primary School has a long and proud history dating from 1910 when the school first opened on the Whytemead Primary school site as Ham Road school.
Downsbrook History - All About the Windmill
Our school logo is a windmill but many parents and children are confused by this as there are no windmills for some distance around the school, however this hasn't always been the case.
Worthing once had many windmills, most of which were still standing a century ago. Cheap grain and imported flour combined to bring about a rapid decline in windmilling and by 1915 only the High Salvington Mill remained. Documented evidence tells us that there were, in fact, at least two windmills at the southern end of Ham Road. These were known as The Navarino Windmills and they were certainly still standing at the turn of the century.
At this time Ham Road extended into what was later renamed as Dominion Road and our original school (now Whytemead Primary School) was known as the Ham Road School and according to our log books was opened on 4th April 1910. At this time, it is probable that there was also a bakers shop close to or attached to one of the Navarino Mills. Consequently, the windmill was adopted as the school logo.
There was a period of time when logos were not in general use and it disappeared from our records. However, in the late 1980s it was decided by parents and governors to resurrect the motif, and it now stands proudly on parts of our school uniform, headed notepaper and school gates.