We are often asked questions about medical issues and whether my child should come to school or not if they are feeling unwell?
Below are some of the most popular issues we hear about, along with general advice.
For specific issues relating to your child, please speak to the school office regarding any welfare matters. Not all illnesses require your child to take time off school, please see the list below for exclusion periods. If you need any more advice, please call the School Office on 01903 230467.
- Chicken pox & shingles- stay off until all spots are scabbed over and dry, normally within 5 days.
- Impetigo- stay away from school until lesions are crusted or healed.
- Diarrhoea and vomiting- return to school 48 hours after the last episode
- Flu- your child should return as soon as your child feels well enough and have no temprature.
- Headlice - no time off required. Treat lice and send to school.
- Conjuctivitis- no need to keep off once treatment has started.
When making dental, GP or optician appointments, please try to arrange them for out of school hours. Please be aware that an appointment during the school day does not require your child to miss the whole day at school. Other than in exceptional circumstances, it will be expected that your child returns to school following an appointment or comes in before the appointment.